Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Magnolia: It’s not you, it’s me

I think delicious and magnolia are very similar. At first I almost struggled to be able to compare the two, but there are just enough differences for one to come out on top. Call me biased because I fell in love with delicious first, or maybe it’s pure personal preference, but for me delicious is the clear winner.

I will say that one thing I like about both sites is the ability to import links from other services – I would be very upset to have to bookmark all my sites again on magnolia should delicious and I ever break up. Another thing I like about both sites is that it puts an icon on the toolbar (at least in mozilla) to make it easy to add links and to sign on to their site.

I’m a simple girl. To me delicious is much more streamlined and concise. It offers just enough of what I want and not a lot of what I don’t want. Magnolia is cute but busy (gee I find myself saying a lot of sites are “busy” these days…but I just can’t spend time making yet another profile…magnolia: it’s not you, it is me…)

One thing I do like about magnolia is that when you add a link, a little picture of the website appears next to the link. I thought that was a nice touch ;-) Especially for someone like me who bookmarks a link, then doesn’t access it for three months and eventually forgets what it is and what I liked about it in the first place.

On another note, my employer’s IT dept, who constantly stays on top of these cool sites bless their little hearts, has already blocked access to both delicious and magnolia.

1 comment:

LA's School Blog said...

I cannot agree enough! I won't be switching to Magnolia from my Delicious account anytime soon. However, what I do find alarming is that your IT department blocked those sites. Just goes to show we still have a long way to go in getting businesses to understand the value of social networking/sharing sites. I use delicious at work all the time and would be lost without it.