Like the social bookmarking sites, I think pbwiki and wetpaint are very similar and accomplish essentially the same thing in the same way. Not being tech savvy, I struggled to find major tech differences in the two and instead have listed some observations on which service was easier for me to use. Call me biased (again) because I’ve been using pbwiki longer, but for me pbwiki still comes out on top. Here are some thoughts (IMHO):
Pbwiki has a better help section - ah the help forum....a place I find myself visiting often on the web...
I thought pbwiki had more editing features and the toolbar was easier for me to navigate. I also didn’t see an icon for plug-ins in wetpaint (is there one??)
Annoying ads kept coming up on wetpaint (is that normal?) and I never see ads on pbwiki even though I always just use the free pbwiki version
Pbwiki seemed clear, streamlined and more to the point than wetpaint (always a plus for me) because I usually don’t like a lot of fluff and cutesy stuff like on magnolia for example.
I think pbwiki is more popular (I base that on someone low-tech like me who had actually heard of pbwiki before this class but not any of the other sites) so there may be more visibility/exposure for wikis created there.
Wetpaint had a lot more social features (it reminded me of Digg which I thought had a highly social, although bordering on overwhelming, aspect) but since, as I’ve said in the past, I’m a simple girl with simple computing needs this pushed wetpaint into the it’s-too-much-for-me category.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I also used WetPaint and thought that it was basically the same as PBWiki. I agree with the toolbars being easier to use.
I got a comment on my blog from a man from WetPaint about an ad-free version that they have for educational purposes. I had commented on the fact that there were ads, but other than that, I really liked working with it. I can't believe that someone other than a classmate read my blog! LOL If you want the link let me know.
Post a Comment