Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Social Networking Sites are the Masters of “Sticky”

Before I personally experienced MySpace, I never quite understood why most of my friends were spending so much time either on that site, talking about it or trying to get me to join. Then I signed up for myself. A year or so later and I am one of the addicted.

I think social networking sites are “sticky” because there’s always something going on. I’d be ashamed to tell you of the nights I’ve logged on just to check my inbox and before I knew it I’d clicked away for an hour. It seems someone is always posting something new – photos, updates, messages, groups, music, videos, comments, etc. Sometimes I find even I get sucked into the surveys that get circulated (does anyone really care what color shirt I’m wearing or what my first car was??) And if there are no messages or comments when I sign on, it’s still no problem. I can always change up my page, update info, surf around some other profiles or search for a new song to add.

Social Networking sites are also sticky for me because if I don’t sign on for a few days I begin to wonder what I’ve missed (Did my friend from high school get her car fixed? Did so-and-so post pictures of the kids from Halloween?). I also find myself saying more frequently to new people “I’m on myspace, look me up.” There’s a sort of curiosity and mystery in not knowing who will go ahead and look you up…and who from your past may find you.

No comments: